N.A.R.P.SUK vs Council approved licence?



As a customer looking for day care services or overnight boarding for your dog. It is possible that you may not know what is legitimate from what is not. So, we are here with this blog to help you gain an understanding of what a doggy day care provider should have. Legally that is.

In a nutshell the provider should have a Licence that has been issued to the by the designated area government council. More importantly, a licence that is issued to them by the presiding council.

At the very least, Having licence will demonstrate that the provider has done the bear minimum, in that they have taken a measure of pre-determined steps to ensure they have met the legal requirements to be able to have dogs on their premises or looking after dogs in any other of welfare situation. And demonstrated they can provide that care safely. All steps taken are in line with the regulations set out in the “Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018. Please see the link below if you want a read”!


Now there are varying degrees of safety & knowledge but that is not what we are discussing today.
Today what we wanted to get across to you one word, “Legal”. If a doggy day care facility is registered, then they are legal & will have that all important licence number. With that number, they have is accountability & what you have, is peace of mind. But also, a reference point if anything were to happen to your dog whilst in that providers care.
It would seem there are many individuals out there advertising themselves as pet-sitters.

Whether they come to your home, or you take your dog to their home. It is as the words pet sitter negates that what is happening is not some form of boarding. At the end of the day, your dog is in their care, & how do you know, or how can they, as the carer/provider, prove to you that they have taken the required steps to demonstrate that they are not only capable. But approved, licenced and have the correct insurance to look after, house & in some cases transport your special friend?
Well this is where the alternate official bodies/agencies come in. If we look at the body/agency mentioned at the top of this post. NARPSUK (“National association of pet sitters & dog walkers”)

To the untrained eye, they would seem as if they are in fact some form of government related agency that ensures the quality of your pooches’ carer. And in a way, they are. But what they are not, is a government official body that regulates and ensures that the carer you have chosen meets the actual criteria, governed by official legislation.

They are in essence a middleman. They earn money from being the introductory intermediate. They help you find a pet sitter/boarder. We am sure a lot of the carers/boarders are lovely people. But unfortunately, we cannot shy away from the fact that they are not registered. Not registered  in our opinion demonstrates a lack of care and professionalism.

So in essence. We say that if you are a responsible owner. Find a carer that has gone through the council inspections. Spent the time and in many cases the money to ensure their premises is fit for purpose, secure, fun, stimulating and has places where your dog can seek solace if they so choose.


You may see emblems like the afore mentioned advertised by some day-care providers. We are not saying that being part of these other agencies aren’t legitimate because they are. But what they are not, is issuers of a regulated licence and that adheres to the “Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018″.

Enjoy your dog & be well.

Happy searching.


The Bathminster Family 🙂